Saturday, August 1, 2009

Exhibition Opening: A New Experiene

So far in this blog I have never talked about my own artwork. The following post is a reflection on having my first solo exhibition in a gallery.




Having an exhibition was a completely new experience to me, it was both unnerving and exciting. Having an exhibition for the first time means exposing the private act of painting into a public context, and considering that few people see my artwork, usually only people I know on a personal level, it is intimidating to show strangers your craft and receive a response. I learnt a number of lessons dealing with interacting with people, presentation of artwork and finances.

Firstly, approaching someone at a gallery requires initiative; I had to phone the gallery to arrange an appointment and bring in my artwork. The first time I did this, I brought in about a dozen artworks and propped them against the wall of the gallery space. I talked to the gallery director and owner, Russell Starke at Greenhill Galleries and discussed my artwork with him. He said he liked the artwork and was interested in seeing more, although he was apprehensive about showing the work as an exhibition. He told me to phone back in a month, with the artworks signed by myself.
I phoned him back a month later, with more artworks complete and arranged to meet him a second time. I brought in a larger number of paintings this time, and a folder of drawings. He was impressed by the direction I was taking and arranged to have my work featured in the next exhibition in a fortnight’s time. He also asked me to prepare a disk featuring all the images, named, edges blackened, hooks to hang them attached and with their size proportions. The following week I fulfilled these tasks and brought in my artwork to be hung in the gallery space. I was presented with a list of the artworks as insurance. I briefly discussed pricing with the gallery assistant and the director, they suggested pricing between 250 and 450 dollars which was more than I expected.

The following Friday I went to the preview exhibition, which is an invitation only event where potential buyers have a chance to buy the artwork before the exhibition opening. At the preview event I was introduced to the other exhibiting artists and was introduced to a number of people attending. I viewed the artwork hanging in the gallery for the first time. The work was hung in the hallway; the images were close together, some above others. In the space of the hallway, there was little distance between the viewer and the artworks so standing at a distance was not possible for most of the works. The paintings were beneath a strong artificial light and images that had Liquin or varnish were very shiny. The lighting also showed various parts of paintings which were not entirely covered with Liquin, and shiny in places. Having the artworks closely spaced together meant you could not entirely focus on one painting; another painting would be in peripheral vision. At the preview exhibition I talked to a number of people, including a young couple who were doctors. At the start of the exhibition I was a little anxious about why I was there, and also conscious of making a good impression. I made an effort to dress more formally and also to be polite to people. I think that the preview went fine, although I was slightly disappointed that no artworks sold, I thought that considering their relatively low price and the stature of those attending that I might sell one artwork.

During the Preview exhibition I was approached by people who wanted to understand what was behind the exhibition. I explained that the images were based on a theme of the life cycle-life and death. The Dolls being representative of birth, although static lifeless objects, and the skulls were symbolic of old age and death. The feedback I received at the preview was mostly positive. People made comments such as “ this is good, strong work, very dynamic”. Under the intoxication of wine, one man commented that he liked the style of the paintings, but considered it too dark to hang in his home. This comment did not come as a surprise; it further reinforced my belief that the average art buyer is more interested in art as decoration than art as art, or is interested in lighter subject matter.

On Sunday I attended the exhibition opening, arriving at 11:30. Some of my friends arrived and viewed the exhibition. I started talking to Ms Bonython who asked me who interested me in contemporary art. I said I liked the artwork of Jenny Saville, Lucien Freud and Odd Nerdrum, choosing names I thought she would recognize. At 12:00 speeches began. Gallery Director Russell Starke addressed the crowd first and introduced the three artists exhibiting. At around 12:30 I left the exhibition with my friends, returning after 1:00. I talked to an artist who exhibits locally; she gave me some positive feedback about the artwork and asked about my plans after art school.
The overall exhibition was a success in the sense that I could present my artwork in a public setting and receive feedback. Through the process I learnt lessons about presentation of artwork and talking to strangers. Having an exhibition also taught me about people’s interest in purchasing artwork, and how difficult it is to sell an artwork in the current economic climate.

Photos taken at Opening Exhibition

No comments: